1 Samuel 20:17
Jonathan thought as much of David as he did of himself, so he asked David to promise once more that he would be a loyal friend. (CEV)
A perfect Biblical example of a good friendship is that of David and Jonathan. Jonathan was the son of King Saul and an heir to the throne. When God rejected Saul, David was lined up as a replacement, yet Jonathan did not work against his friend. Instead, he supported David and helped him escape the wrath of his father (1 Samuel 20–23). Today’s Bible reading gives an indication of the brotherly love that existed between Jonathan and David. Both men complemented one another, and without this friendship, David might not have made it to the palace.
Beloved, Jonathan’s kind of heart and companionship are what we should seek as children of God. We must stay committed to our friends and shun evil while helping each other fulfil purpose. It is important to genuinely know the people we hang out with and entrust with our lives. We should investigate whether they are rooted in Christ and have our best interests at heart because the people we associate with can shape the course of our lives. I encourage you to pray that God will give you a friend like Jonathan. Your Jonathan could be your spouse, co-worker, pastor, or someone you never expected to add value to your life. When you meet your divinely assigned friends, you can be sure of safety and accelerated promotion (Proverbs 27:9).
Hymn: Spirit of the Living God—Daniel Iverson (1926).
- Father, cut out undue attachments in my life and connect me with friends like Jonathan.
- The tree of sickness, oppression, and depression growing in my life, be cut down by the axe of fire.
- Strongman of my father, mother, and in-law’s house, claiming ownership of my destiny. Release me now!
- Father, please help me to never take your grace and gifts for granted in my life.
- The weapons of my warfare, as well as those of the church and my family, receive sharpness and accuracy.
MAKE IT A PRAYER-FILLED WEEKEND
© The Food of Champions 2021
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this blog cannot be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from THE FOOD OF CHAMPIONS (firstname.lastname@example.org