MY BIBLE STORY
2 Samuel 9 (NLT — Paraphrased)
David asked, ‘Is anyone in Saul’s family still alive—someone I can show kindness for Jonathan’s sake?’ He then summoned Ziba, who had been one of Saul’s servants. The king asked him, ‘Is anyone still alive from Saul’s family? If so, I want to show God’s kindness to them.’ Ziba replied, ‘Yes, one of Jonathan’s sons is alive. He is disabled on both feet.’ ‘Where is he?’ David asked. ‘In Lo-debar, at the home of Makir, son of Ammiel.’ Said Ziba. So, the king sent for him!
The man’s name was Mephibosheth; Jonathan’s son and Saul’s grandson. When he came to David, he bowed low in deep respect. David said, ‘Greetings, Mephibosheth.’ He replied, ‘I am your servant.’ ‘Don’t be afraid!’ David said. ‘I intend to show kindness to you because of my promise to your father, Jonathan. I’ll give you all the property that once belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you’ll eat here with me at the king’s table!’ Mephibosheth bowed respectfully and exclaimed, ‘Who is your servant, that you should show such kindness to a dead dog like me?’
Therefore, David summoned Ziba and said, ‘I have given your master’s grandson everything that belonged to Saul and his family. You and your fifteen sons and twenty servants are to farm the land for him to produce food for your master’s household. But Mephibosheth, your master’s grandson, will eat here at my table.’
1. God can transform your story suddenly if a crippled dead dog (Mephibosheth) could become David’s favourite to continuously eat at the king’s table.
2. The good deeds of Jonathan paved way for his son. Therefore, keep doing good; it shall speak for you and your offspring.
3. The fact that God used you to elevate someone does not mean you can’t serve them! Remember, Ziba (with his sons and servants) recommended Mephibosheth, yet served him and family forever!
1. Sing ‘Remember Me, oh Lord!’ and turn it to prayer.
2. Father, help me to be kind and leave a legacy for generations.
1. I decree! May my children and I not live as slaves forever.
2. Any power that wants to attack me from a known and unknown source, scatter by fire!
‘IF THERE WAS HOPE FOR A DEAD DOG. THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU!’
© The Food of Champions 2021