EYES OF UNDERSTANDING
Ephesians 1:17-18 (18) – The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, (KJV)
Understanding is the foundation on which we base our beliefs and knowledge about things. Today’s Bible reading gives an indication that the foundation of our knowledge has eyes and that these eyes can be lightened up. When God said that His people perished because of a lack of knowledge, He was simply saying that the people lacked the light that illuminates human understanding (Hosea 4:6). The absence of light made the people sin against the Lord (Hosea 4:1-6). Where the eyes of our understanding are opened through God’s light, it will be easier to conform to the divine will.
The enlightenment of understanding in God comes only from the Holy Spirit. Verse 17 of our text says: “That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:” Wisdom and revelation are part of the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:7-11. This means that we need wisdom and revelation (knowledge) to operate in the realm of spiritual understanding. These two gifts are essential in our modern-day, and without them, we may struggle. Therefore, our prayer this morning is that the Lord will open our eyes of understanding to walk in perpetual light.
Hymn: Spirit of the Living God—Daniel Iverson (1926)
1. Holy Spirit, lighten up my life and understanding of God’s will.
2. Holy Spirit, possess me with Your fire and power to do exploit in my generation.
3. Thou great wisdom and divine revelation, possess my life.
1. Any power on assignment to turn my life into a dumping ground, scatter by fire!
2. Rain of abundant favour and prosperity, fall upon my life and handiwork.
3. Father, let the song of the wicked over my life, my family, and the church turn to sorrow.
4. Father, open my eyes so that I may know You more.
NO MORE SHAME!
© The Food of Champions 2022
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this blog cannot be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from THE FOOD OF CHAMPIONS (firstname.lastname@example.org)